Sunday 29 October 2017

On-Line Classes

Have you ever tried an online class? What did you think?

I have many Craftsy online classes in my library and have picked up tips and learnt new techniques from all that I have watched. My only problem with my Craftsy classes, is making time to watch the class and start the project or try the technique. Maybe I need to add a booking to my calendar each month and work my way through my classes.

In  2014, I found that Craft University also offered online classes. Many were similar to the style of classes offered by Craftsy. One that was different, was the Sulky Magical Thread Art Course. There were a total of 10 truly inspirational textile art projects in this course. Each one of which covered a range of techniques. 

Four of the projects covered raw edge applique:

Cat on the Courthouse Steps combined the applique with a pieced background and quilting with decorative machine stitches.
 Serenity Duck Wall Hanging combined the applique with Bargello patchwork, a staggered lower edge and quilted the wall hanging with metallic thread.
Swirly Lace Pear combined the applique with free standing machine embroidered lace, freehand satin stitch monogramming and echo quilting.
Magical Mystery Balloon Ride combined the applique with using a gradient fabric as a background and adding a lot of detail with freehand machine embroidery and decorative machine stitches.


 Two of the projects covered three dimensional elements.

3-D Sunflowers added the three dimensional elements and some textured applique to a pre-printed panel. I didn't have the panel, so combined fabrics from my stash to create a background for my sunflowers.
Floral Fantasy Sculpture used a special stabiliser to shape a floral motif that had been embellished with freehand machine embroidery.

The other projects were:

Butterfly in Flight combined a pieced background with freehand machine embroidery motifs.
Magical Tigers used a pre-printed panel and co-ordinating fabrics to make a themed wall hanging. As you can see in the photo, I didn't have any fabric with tigers on....
Penny Rug Candlemat used the beautiful Sulky Threads to embellish a felt/wool fabric candlemat. I made the violet/purple felt on the black candlemat, the burgundy flowers on the cream candlemat were fabric scraps from a dressmaking project.
Sun's Up Placemat used a specialty quilting ruler and easy piecing to make some pretty placemats that were then quilted with decorative machine stitches and metallic threads.
I had a great time making all of these projects and the teacher certification that I got after all of the projects were submitted was an added bonus.

I was enthusiastic a few weeks ago, when I found out that the same Sulky Educators were running another class for online Teacher Certification. This time the projects are more simple for students to complete and as a consequence, there is less time before the due date. As with the Magical Thread Art course, all projects are presented as .pdf patterns with an accompanying video that takes you through all of the steps to make each project. The educators are very enthusiastic about the projects and each one is accompanied by a trunk show for further inspiration. I think that the enthusiasm of the educators and the trunk show is why I keep subscribing to these lessons. I am familiar with most of the techniques used in the projects, but just love all the inspiration I gain from the videos and the trunk shows.

This week I will be working on my projects for the Sulky Art, Fun and Home online Teacher Certification course. I have selected my fabrics for each project:
I have threads:
Metallic threads:
And stabilisers:
All ready to start my projects...... 





 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment