Thursday 16 March 2017

20 Years in the Making...

Isn't it amazing how long it can take to complete a project? It is also crazy the things that can stop or delay your progress with a project. This is my story of one of these projects (spoiler alert: there is a happy ending!).

A little over 20 years ago, I was gifted this lovely set by a neighbour of my Mum. The set was a pair of pillowcases and a matching runner. They had an embroidery design printed on them, ready to stitch.
Stamped Pillowcase
I loved the design of the roses and the shapes of the bows. I was less in love with the stamped cross stitch filling of the bows. Also there were no instructions with the set. No hints on whether the cross stitch filling the bows was a single colour or shaded to create depth. I loved them enough to keep them, so back into the project box they went.
Stamped Runner
Stamped Runner
 Every few years, when I sorted through my project box, I would lift them out, admire the design, become stressed about the cross stitch and put them back in the project box. As a side note, I am not a fan of stamped cross stitch as it is less precise than counted cross stitch.

Last Autumn, I was looking through my projects and I had some tonal pink fabrics on the table beside me. Light bulbs began to flash in my head. Why don't I used some of these fabrics to applique the bows. Then I can embroider the flowers and show this project some love!

I traced off the bow designs, worked with my coloured pencils for a while and decided that the bows would look pretty with a light and a medium of my pink fabrics. A bit of work with Vliesofix (grown-up cut and paste) and the stamped cross stitch was gone!
Pillowcase
 My enthusiasm returned and I began to stitch and stitch and stitch. 

By early February this year, I had embroidered both pillowcases. I was very happy with the design and the embroidery. At this point, I was less happy with the finish on the edge of the pillowcases. It was just a machine finished rolled hem. Now that the embroidery was complete, the hem just looked ordinary. I looked through several pages on Pinterest, searching for inspiration. I saw a few pillowcases finished with crochet lace. Then I found this page of border designs.
Crochet Border Designs
I crocheted border 175 around the edges of my pillowcases. This was the finish that I was looking for!! 
Completed Pillowcases
With the pillowcases complete, I really, really wanted to finish the runner. The bow on the runner was more elaborate. I alternated the colours of the applique to create the effect of a twisted ribbon.
Runner Applique
 Then I completed the embroidery using the same colours and stitches as the pillowcases. And finished the edges of the runner with the same crochet border.
Completed Runner
So now, more than 20 years after I first received them, the set is complete and I am very happy with how it has turned out.
Completed Runner and Pillowcase set
I am now inspired by this success to unearth my counted cross stitch sampler from the 1990's and complete that too....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment