Wednesday 7 June 2017

Play Day

Today, I am having a play day. I have 4 strips of fabric from a Jelly Roll (Moda Fabrics 3 Sisters Courtyard) to play with. These particular strips have been cut from the striped fabrics in this range. Each fabric has a narrow 2 inch stripe and a wider 4 inch stripe repeated across the fabric. The different stripes are separated by tiny 1/2 inch wide contrasting stripes.
 I really like these fabrics, but as they are from a Jelly Roll, only have a 2 1/2 inch wide strip of each one. They have sat on my craft table for a few days while I have pondered on how to use them. At one point, the kittens scrunched them up a bit and this inspired me to offset the stripes and see what pattern emerged. This one did:
 I quite like the design that is formed and it will combine the 2 1/2 inch strips into a larger piece of fabric. Now to pin the strips so that the aligned tiny stripes match.
 Once joined and pressed, the panel looks like this:

And now, I can start planning where to cut blocks. I do planning like this with Frixion by Pilot pens and my quilting rulers. These pens draw well on fabric and the markings disappear when heat (such as a warm iron) is applied.
In a lucky break, if I cut 1/2 inch from the tiny stripe, I get three 81/2 inch x 8 1/2 inch (raw edge to raw edge) blocks.
 Two 8 1/2 inch x 5 1/2 inch pieces.
 And some scraps from the staggered edges.
 I can arrange and re-join these pieces to make a larger block/panel.
I am thinking of using these blocks as the centre of a table runner. I have some more strips from the same Jelly Roll which would make a nice framing border.

Hmm, more to think about. I will add an update when I decide how to stitch these into a project.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment